My top ten favourite things about Mexico City - Part one

I have just spent the past 3 weeks in Mexico City, visiting my family, eating a lot of amazing food and exploring the city I have been to many times before, but never really had the chance to see properly.

This trip, armed with my tour guide (a.k.a. cousin Lavi), I soaked in Mexico City like a leaf soaks in sunshine.

Over the next little while I will be posting about my favourite things about Mexico City. In no particular order as I loved everything equally (OK, maybe the food and my family a little more than anything else).

Here is numero uno: Mexico City's architecture.

I was blown away by the amazing architecture around the city. From the most amazing houses (read: mansions) on Reforma (the main street leading into the city centre) home to many of the world's embassies, to the ruins of Templo Mayor - one of the main Aztec temples in the capital Tenochtitlan (now Mexico City).

Catedral Metropolitana
Here is my rendition of la Catedral Metropolitana (the Metropolitan Cathedral) in the main square of Mexico City (the Zocalo). Side note: I painted this with natural watercolours I purchased in Mexico - the colours are produced from plants and soils and are the same as those used by Mesoamericans centuries ago. Very cool!


A bit of history: this Cathedral was built in the 16th century by the meanie Cortes when the Spaniards conquered the Aztecs. Cortes tore down the neighbouring Templo Mayor and incorporated nearly all the stone from the Aztec temple into the new Cathedral. You can visit the ruins of Templo Mayor next door to the Cathedral. It's amazing to see them side by side and to imagine what happened all those many centuries ago.

The Metropolitan Cathedral has been slowly sinking into the soft lake bottom beneath, as Mexico City was built on a lake. Many of the city's buildings are slowly sinking, however there is thankfully a lot of restoration underway to save these wonderful landmarks.

Stay tuned for more of my favourite things about Mexico City!

x



2 comments:

  1. I love watercolour painting and your amazing at it. You've got a quirky/cute style and I luurrrrrve it (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing more delicious than your watercolors are the recipes in My Abuela's Table. I reviewed it here at appetiteforbooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete