Spiced biscuits... my style:


I have been a little side tracked this week with the boyfriend at home, and friends to visit. Not much work was done today, but I did make these yummy biscuits from a favourite cookbook from my childhood: Family Circle Test Recipe Cookbook.


They were supposed to be Gingerbread biscuits, but we didn't have ginger in the house, so they ended up being 'spice biscuits' instead. Still delicious! Recipe below.




Ingredients:


125 g unsalted butter
1/3 cup soft dark brown sugar (we were out of this, so I just used caster sugar and it worked just fine)
1/3 cup golden syrup
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 cups plain flour
1/3 cup self raising flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger (I used a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg and a dash of all spice)
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda


Icing:
1 egg white
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup icing sugar (I used icing mixture...I hate how lumpy pure icing sugar is)
food dye (if you want...I like the white against the cookie colour)


Preheat oven to 180 C.
Brush 2 or 3 oven trays with oil or melted butter and line with non-stick baking paper.
Using electric beaters, beat the butter, sugar and syrup in a small bowl until light and creamy. Add the egg gradually, beating thoroughly after each addition.


Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Sift the flours, spice(s) and bicarb onto the butter mixture and use a knife to mix until just combined. Use a well-floured hand to combine the dough thoroughly, then turn onto a floured surface and knead for 1-2 minutes until smooth.


Line a large chopping board with non-stick baking paper. Roll out the dough on a board to 5 mm thickness. (Flour the rolling pin to stop the dough sticking). Refrigerate on the board for 15 minutes or until the dough is firm enough to cut (I skipped this bit cause I was impatient).
Cut the dough into shapes with cutters (I used super cute ones from Ikea). Press any remaining dough together, then re-roll and cut into shapes. Place the shapes onto prepared trays and bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool the biscuits on trays and then ice.


To make icing, place the egg white in a small dry bowl. Using electric beaters, beat the egg white until foamy. Add the lemon juice gradually; beat until thick and creamy. If you want to add colouring, divide icing into separate bowls and add colour. Spoon icing into small paper icing bags (I used a zip lock bag and snipped a tiny bit off one corner). Pipe your design!


This is my extra bit: Once iced, pop biscuits back into oven for a few minutes. This will make the icing go hard. YUM!





5 comments:

  1. These look gorgeous...love the decorations :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound delicious, and came out so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought your book several months ago at Costco. I've recently relocated from San Diego California & am missing Mexican food, & actually all things Hispanic! I love your book & recipes. Love knowing that Danish Feta cheese can be substituted for cotija cheese, thank you! I discovered your blog tonight & am tickled to find that some of the things that speak to me are some of the things you've posted about! I'm looking forward to more posts & books, & whatever else you decide to do!xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel, I'm so glad you are enjoying My Abuela's Table! I am off to Mexico (and San Diego for a few days too!) next month, so I am looking forward to gaining lots of inspiration for (maybe!) a new book! Yay!

    Thanks for you comment!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daniella-If you haven't discovered it yet, try picking up Cook's Illustrated magazine while you are visiting San Diego. It's a beautiful mag with tested recipes & only lovely drawings of food, no photography, you might enjoy! Christopher Kimball is the editor, have fun in SD & Mexico!

    ReplyDelete