Exciting times!


I am entering the big wide world of illustrating children's books! It's a little scary, but exciting at the same time. I've never illustrated a kid's book before (apart from when I was 12 and wrote and illustrated my own silly stories), so this is pretty cool. Currently I am teaching myself how to storyboard and general character development. And what great therapy this is for my little 'I-can't-draw-people' insecurity problem! 


I've been researching heaps of children's book illustrators and it's so great to gain new inspiration from some fabulous talent out there. I've always loved kid's books, but only now am really beginning to appreciate how amazing they are in terms of, not just the illustrations themselves, but the pacing and layout of the books. And I am finding lots of new (to me anyway) great illustrators, whom I probably wouldn't have found if it weren't for this job I've been given.


As I can't really share any of my initial sketches as I work, I thought I would share a few illustrators who I have stumbled upon in book shops and online, and have come to adore. Illustration heaven!


Oliver Jeffers:


I've always loved Oliver Jeffer's work. My favourite book is The Great Paper Caper. I can't wait to have kids so I can share his books with them :)


from How to Catch a Star

The Great Paper Caper - Oliver Jeffers


Oh my, her work is so lovely. So simple and beautiful. I hope one day I can illustrate like her.




I have to admit, I've only just discovered the lovely work of John Segal. Shame on me! So sweet. Can you tell I like illustrators who use watercolours?!



Both images from Alistair and Kips' Great Adventure


I will be posting about more wonderful illustrators as I find them. Hope you're now as inspired as I am!


x

2 comments:

  1. Childrens books can have such amazing illustrations... I love buying them for my little boy...hmmmm actually I think I buy them for me really :)

    Love all the above mentioned illustrators!
    Can't wait to see what you do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the children's book project--I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!

    ReplyDelete